As the Alabama days start to get hotter, we're thinking of ways to tamper the heat. Over the next few weeks, we'll be featuring fun summer beverages from Tim Federle's Tequila Mockingbird: Cocktails with a Literary Twist to help welcome this warmer season.
Check out our curated cocktails below, and grab a copy of Tequila Mockingbird for more recipes and inspiration!
Cocktail #1: A Midsummer's Night Beam
- 8 sprigs of fresh mint, washed
- 1/2 ounce of lime juice
- 2 teaspoons of granulated sugar
- 2 ounces of bourbon (like Jim Beam)
- 1 12-ounce can of club soda
Muddle the mint, lime juice, and sugar in a glass. Add ice and bourbon, and top with club soda.
Cocktail #2: Brave New Swirled
- 1 ounce of vodka
- 1 cup of seedless watermelon, chopped
- 1/4 ounce lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon of granulated sugar
- 1/2 ounce of melon liqueur
Add vodka, watermelon, lemon juice, sugar, and a handful of ice to a blender, running until smooth. Pour into a cocktail glass and float the liqueur on top. Enjoy!
LP Tip: We added frozen berries for a creamier texture and a brighter color!
- 2 ounces of cranberry juice
- 2 ounces of orange juice
- 1.5 ounces of light rum
- 1 ounce of coconut rum
- 1 teaspoon of grenadine syrup
- Orange or pineapple for garnish
Shake all of the ingredients with ice and pour everything (including the ice) into a glass. Garnish and enjoy!